Where to go for open lunch

Although+many+students+enjoy+having+open+lunch%2C+it+may+be+a+bit+nerve-racking+due+to+the+endless+options+surrounding+RM-from+Indian+cuisine+to+Panera.+To+prolong+your+sanity%2C+some+students+highlight+their+favorite+places+to+stop+by.+

Graphic by Julianne Cruz

Although many students enjoy having open lunch, it may be a bit nerve-racking due to the endless options surrounding RM-from Indian cuisine to Panera. To prolong your sanity, some students highlight their favorite places to stop by.

Mayah Nachman, Features writer

Having many food options near school makes it fun and easy to have lunch off-campus with friends but sometimes it can be difficult to find a restaurant that everyone agrees on. Check out several restaurants below that are recommended by students. 

Potbelly near Rockville Town Center is a popular choice. Potbelly’s is well known for its large variety of sandwiches. Numerous students feel the restaurant has good food and is an easy place to go during lunch. The Italian Sub is a favorite choice among many. “Their sandwiches are cooked to perfection,” junior Cody Da said.

In addition to sandwiches, they also have salads many students enjoy. “They taste really good and make you feel healthy,” sophomore Daniel Suh said. 

Students also enjoy eating at California Tortilla which is nearby Potbelly. Popular menu items include the Classic Burrito with chicken, and their quesadillas. Students feel that the food is well-seasoned and like that there are many options. “They’re so good and they flavor their chicken well,” sophomore Ariana Patel said. 

In the same shopping complex, there is also Giuseppi’s Pizza Plus which many students enjoy. There is a variety of Italian food like pizza, Italian subs and more. The restaurant has been family owned and operated for 33 years. 

Many students like to eat at cafes like Vie de France and Starbucks for their proximity to school and quick service. Students enjoy having brownies, cake pops, and iced coffees from these coffee shops. Additionally, there are many other sandwiches, snacks, and beverages to choose from. “It’s convenient and has good food,” junior Kelsey Lee said.

Students also like eating at The Spot Asian Food Hall because there are many restaurants to choose from inside. The food hall has a variety of diverse Asian foods like poke, boba and handmade noodles. “I like that it has a lot of different options,” sophomore Dylan Studley said. 

In addition, students enjoy eating at Japong Bakery for its affordability and the variety of sweet and savory pastries available. Most of the single serving pastries range from about $2-6. Popular choices among students are parmesan cheese, garlic bread and sausage bread. “Their packaging is really cute and it’s a small business,” sophomore Anya Precil said. 

Another popular choice in downtown Rockville is Panera. Many students enjoy their soups, sandwiches and salads. Some common picks at the restaurant are tomato soup, mac and cheese and BBQ chicken flatbread. They also can easily spend time with friends and study due to the large space. “It’s close and has a lot of seating,” freshman Eliza Nadler said. 

Students also enjoy eating at the nearby Om Indian Restaurant in the Ritchie Center. The menu has many Indian dishes and has several vegetarian options. “It is very flavourful and uses an array of spices,” sophomore Lianna Meklir said.

Another incentive to check out Om is the ‘Rocket Special.’ The special includes rice, and students have a choice on what protein and vegetable they want for about $6. Popular selections among students are the Butter Chicken for the protein and Palak Alu Methi as the vegetable.

Leaving campus for lunch is less daunting when you know what the best restaurants are.