Girls varsity soccer loses to Churchill

The Richard Montgomery girls soccer team endured a heavy defeat of 5-0 to a Churchill team that has only lost one game. A goal scored by Churchill in the first minute set the tone for rest of the game. RM’s record dropped to 4-6-1.

The massive scoreline does not reflect how well the Rockets’ defense played. Churchill was great at executing the chances they got, which was very unlucky for Richard Montgomery. “The girls are playing tough under the circumstances,” observed Paul Greco, father of player Hannah Greco. “They’re protecting well on defense, but there is not much offense.”

The Bulldogs led 2-0 at halftime. Despite the scoreline, both teams had a positive attitude and were determined to play better in the second half. “It’s unfortunate that we’re losing,” commented senior James Gordy, “but our goalkeeper is doing well.”

In the end, Churchill put three more goals on the scoreboard in the last 20 minutes of the game. After a strong defensive performance, senior captain Maeve Givens concluded that “we did a good job of defending as a team, but I think we need to do a better job of transitioning into offense as a unit as opposed to just a forward.”

“I think that we played extremely well and if we keep playing like that, especially for three games, we’ll definitely have a winning record,” senior Brittany Fletcher said. After a hard defeat, the team knows what they need to work on and they have a winning mindset.