RM students participate in French exchange program

RM recently partnered with a ninth grade class from Institution Sainte Jeanne D’Arc, a private school in France, for a week-long exchange program from October 13 to October 21. The French students stayed with the families of RM students, who took the opportunity to share their culture.

On October 14, all of the hosts and exchange students attended an ice cream social at RM. They later went to Sky Zone Trampoline Park for Glow night. On Monday, October 16, the exchange students shadowed their hosts at school. RM’s French Honor Society also held a potluck party during lunch. At the end of the week, there was a celebration at Fallsmead Elementary School. The French students were able to sample a variety of American food, and the hosts sang “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

Freshman Alexandra Haralanova hosted Naïmé Raba. Before Raba arrived, Haralanova was excited but slightly worried. “My expectation for hosting was that it would be fun and maybe a little hard because she might not know a lot of English,” Haralanova recalled.

However, upon meeting her, Haralanova realized that not only did Raba’s English skills exceed her expectations, Raba was enthusiastic and ready to learn about the American culture. In fact, Raba brought gifts for Haralanova’s entire family. “You get to know a new person, you get to know a new culture, you make a new friend, and you get to see the world through different eyes,” Haralanova said.

Unlike Haralanova, Raba was not worried about communicating in English prior to arriving in the United States. Her favorite memory was going on the Billy Goat Trail hike at Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, as it was her first time hiking. “[Haralanova was] being so nice with me and explaining to me aspects of American culture,” Raba said.

Freshman Pierre Zeineddin was also pleasantly surprised by how much fun he had during the program. After he met his exchange student, Emir Kamoun, the boys were able to bond through playing Xbox. “He struck me as one of the politest people I would ever know,” Zeineddin said. “I really enjoyed my hosting experience with Emir. Every memory was a great one.”

Emir Kamoun was similarly excited to meet his host family. “My first impression of Pierre was that he was a very nice and popular guy,” he explained. Kamoun’s favorite part was visiting the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, as he was able to explore his interest in aeronautical engineering. “The program was very interesting and hopefully I’ll do it again,” Kamoun added.

Many of the host students got in contact with their French visitors prior to the program to learn more about each other. “I actually didn’t know the age of my student. I thought they were going to be older, but I was pleasantly surprised with a younger sister,” junior Lydia Harouna said. Harouna and her exchange student, Emma Lipp George, exchanged several messages on Instagram before meeting in person. “ We both like food, are very talkative, and like to ride horses. We have a lot in common,” Harouna explained. “My favorite experience was going to the horse barn, and petting the draft horses and the miniature ponies.” Lipp George was also very enthusiastic about the program. “My favorite part was meeting peoples at school,” she said. “It was a fantastic trip.”

The French students noted that there were several significant cultural differences between the U.S. and France. “I saw America in movies, it looks like what I saw,” Raba said. “My favorite part about visiting school was the yellow buses because, in France, we don’t have yellow buses.”

She elaborated on the differences in French and U.S. schools. “Students are allowed to use their phones and sometimes the students are chatting, but the teachers are like ‘please be quiet.’ They’re more cool,” Raba explained. “Also, the periods of classes are shorter than ours. We also have no extracurriculars.”

The host students also picked up on several French customs. Haralanova noted that the French students did “bisou,” a greeting in which the two people exchange kisses on the cheek.

“Cultural exchange is priceless; when you meet someone from a different culture you get to understand how they live their life,” Harouna said. She felt that most Americans are too close-minded towards foreigners. “The world right now is in a tough time. By bringing the French students here it really helps us understand the world as we know it,” she added. Harouna was proud that by participating the program, she was able to learn more about another culture.

Other host students shared a similar perspective about the program. “I would participate in the French exchange program during spring break because my friends already invited me. I really want to see the school system there,” Haralanova said.

As these students have learned, cultural exchange programs foster global awareness, help students improve language skills, and build lifelong friendships.

Featured photo courtesy of Rebecca Huang.