Is the SAT a good measure of aptitude?

More than 1.5 million high school students take the SAT every year. Though students generally grudge the exam process, it is a consistent and appropriate measure of aptitude. The exam must remain a factor to be considered in college admissions.

Most universities nationwide request students to disclose either SAT or ACT scores as a component of the college application process. The standardized test, designed and administered by the College Board, gauges student knowledge in critical reading, writing, and mathematics. The test seeks to predict how well students will perform in college.

By gauging student knowledge in different subjects, the SAT provides a measurable standard of aptitude. Apart from the optional essay, the format of the SAT is entirely machine-graded multiple-choice, which eliminates subjectivity. The test is also inclusive to minorities-by standardizing the test for all students, the College Board accounts for all demographic groups.

Without the SAT, colleges have no means to determine the capacity of students relative to other students. High schools measure Grade Point Averages differently, and grades carry fluctuating weights, dependent on the rigor of each school’s curricula.

Individual schools have a stake in student performance. Teachers or administrators may simplify tests to further the school’s, or school district’s, reputation. Unlike individual schools, the SAT is not biased towards producing favorable results.

The SAT has undergone significant changes, in effect since this March, to gain an edge over its primary competitor, the ACT. The former SAT was notorious for its testing of often arcane vocabulary-the new SAT tests more practical knowledge relevant to college and careers.

The reformatted SAT, in particular, has a positive effect on student achievement. The skills and topics tested on the SAT are contextualized and require analytical thinking. The weight of the SAT on college admissions will encourage students to place greater emphasis on essential information and abilities.

SAT’s younger sibling, the PSAT, is another standardized test of scholastic achievement, taken by nearly 3.5 million high school students a year. The PSAT is co-sponsored by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, so qualifications for the prestigious National Merit Scholarship is determined through high performance on the PSAT.

Although many students do not take the exam seriously, it is invaluable practice for the SAT and provides an opportunity to assess strengths and weaknesses. Sophomore Ummara Khan states, “It gives you an idea of what you’re good at and what you need to work on.”

Standardized testing is not without its flaws: opponents of the SAT cite the limited subject coverage of the test. However, the SAT is a practical assessment of the essential skills necessary for success in college and in careers.

Students may not enjoy taking the grueling four-hour-long exam, but the SAT is here to stay. The test is the most appropriate standardized measure of aptitude for the college admissions process.

-Written by Emily Tian