Senior Reflections: Mayah Nachman

Ifrah Reyal
Senior News editor Mayah Nachman shares her experiences throughout high school and student journalism.

My freshman year was done while sitting in my bedroom. While it was nice to be able to hang out with my dog during math class, I found myself bored and needing connection. I had always known I wanted to join my high school’s newspaper; however, I would have never expected the impact The Tide has had on me.

I wrote for the News section during my first year on the paper, which was perfect considering how crazy the world was during this time. Interviews quickly became my favorite part of the writing process. I loved that articles gave me the opportunity to chat about random topics with new people while being stuck at home. 

However, it was during my sophomore year that I had truly fallen in love with writing and journalism. I remember how overwhelmed and shy I had felt on my first day back in the building. I didn’t know who to sit with at lunch, what clubs I should join, and what I should chit-chat about with my peers. While I was very quiet in class, I was able to express myself through writing articles for the Features section. When drafting articles I was able to find the confidence to walk up to someone I didn’t know to ask them for an interview, something I would not have done otherwise. 

In addition to The Tide, what had truly brought me out of my shell during this time was being adopted into an amazing friend group. I had never gotten along with a group of people so well and felt so included until that year. Together, we went to football games, went to California Tortilla on half days, and had long conversations at my favorite place: the Rockville library.

After finally arriving in my senior year of high school after the intensity of junior year, I had found myself so excited to be the News Editor. 

While it was very hard work and took up a lot of my time, I am extremely grateful that I have been able to do this position. Especially during a time when I have felt the impact of news on me personally, I felt the pressure to adhere to a certain standard. I was able to expand my experience in journalism through reporting on Board of Education meetings and editing articles about current events. It was during this year that I solidified my decision to major in journalism. 

Now that I look back on my high school experience, I can’t help but feel proud. When I began high school, I didn’t truly know where I fit in and was nervous to embarrass myself or say the wrong thing. However, now at the end of my senior year I know that I am not afraid to try new things, strike up a conversation with new people, and feel like I am exactly where I am supposed to be. As I look forward, I find myself so excited to see where I end up. 

If you would like to voice your opinion on an issue you feel is relevant to our community, please do so here. Anyone is able and welcome to submit a Letter to the Editor, regardless of journalistic experience or writing skills. Submissions may be published either online or in a print issue.