Seniors struggle with senioritis as year closes

Kai Woo
Merriam-Webster defines senioritis as “an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades.”

According to a 2012 study done by Omniscient, 78 percent of high school seniors struggle with senioritis each year. The term senioritis, which is even acknowledged by reputable dictionaries like Merriam-Webster— can be heard numerous times in the conversations of students at RM. Senioritis is a quintessential part of the high school experience, as such, teachers and students alike are well aware of the lack of motivation that plagues seniors by the end of semester one.

While many seniors feel excited about the next steps after graduation, it can be incredibly difficult to focus on work. Within the halls of RM countless students are beginning to experience the onset of senioritis and its influence on attendance and engagement. 

Senior Luján Izquierdo explains that despite the name, senioritis can develop before senior year even begins. “I have had senioritis since second semester of junior year, honestly,” she said. “I’m definitely feeling it the most now, second semester of senior year, especially since I’ve already been accepted to college.” 

However, there are a couple of things that keep students coming back besides their classes. “My favorite part is the social aspect of it, just seeing my friends. But also, because colleges will still be sent my updated transcript so I have to keep my grades up,” Izquierdo said.

Senior Jamie Schutz also fears the repercussions of lackluster grades on college admissions decisions, as they can still be rescinded even after acceptance. “What keeps me at school the most is the fear that my colleges would revoke my acceptances,” Schutz said. “But more so I want to spend as much time at Richard Montgomery as I can before I leave in the spring. I know it’s going to go by so fast so I’m trying to make the most out of it.” 

Although the risks of grades slipping and the excitement of having more time to spend hanging out with friends are good motivators for seniors suffering from senioritis— it is still hard to manage.

Izquierdo feels senioritis is the hardest when she feels overwhelmed with the workload she has. “When I have a lot of assignments or tests, I feel bombarded and that is when my senioritis kicks in the most,” she said.

Schutz believes the opposite. “I feel senioritis the most when my classes aren’t doing much, I don’t have any tests, and when we are just doing busy work. It just makes me feel like I am wasting my time, like why do I even need to be here?” Schutz said.