Board of Education swears in Dr. Felder as interim superintendent

MCPS Board of Education votes unanimously for Dr. Monique Felder to serve as the interim superintendent.
Bella Major

At the Feb. 6 MCPS Board of Education meeting, Dr. Monique Felder was sworn in as Interim Superintendent. In a statement released by MCPS, the board announced that the new superintendent will lead the system through the remainder of the 2023-24 school year. 

This decision came during the midst of scrutiny towards the Board of Education because of their handling of reports of sexual harassment made against former Farquar Middle School Principal Joel Beidleman and his promotion during his ongoing investigation. According to an article released by the The Washington Post in August 2023, Beidleman was reported at least 18 times since 2016. A report by Baltimore-based law firm Jackson Lewis revealed that Dr. McKnight “did not take timely action,” even though she knew before summer of 2023, as reported by MoCo360.

Many MCPS staff members have become frustrated with the Board’s handling of the situation due to the lack of transparency and action taken against Beidleman. 

“The teachers union has been saying for years that we need better transparency from the Board of Education,” English teacher Katherine Fliakas said. “We get these huge scandals that shouldn’t have been scandals, they should have been dealt with swiftly and appropriately and in a transparent manner so that we all can understand what is happening in the school system.” 

On Jan. 22, Dr. McKnight released a statement where she announced that the Board of Education had asked her to resign, but had not cited their reasons for this request. Additionally, she wrote, “For these reasons, I’m concerned that its actions are based on something other than my performance, which would constitute a violation of my contract. I will defend my reputation and my decades-long commitment to the students and families of MCPS.” 

Despite her plans to fight for her position and pursue legal action, Dr. McKnight and MCPS announced on Feb. 2 that both have “mutually agreed to separate.” In Dr. McKnight’s statement, she wrote, “I have also maintained that it is critical that my reputation remains grounded in facts and truth. Effective today, after careful reflection, prayer and willingness to demand fairness, I have reached a mutually agreed separation with the Board of Education.” 

[I am] very hopeful that the new superintendent will help to bring more unity into the school system and restore some of the trust that has been lost within the last several years, especially the last several months. [I’m] really hoping that MCCA and the Board of Education can begin working together to have a more collaborative relationship where there is a foundation of trust and transparency.

— Ms. Fliakas

RM principal Alicia Deeny discussed her feelings regarding the situation. “I think we all have seen what has been in the news and it has distracted from the mission of our school system which is teaching and learning, and providing classrooms that our students are learning in…I think that it was the right thing for the superintendent to step aside so the focus is no longer on that.”

At the recent meeting, the Board of Education issued an apology for its handling of employee misconduct complaints and vowed to heal the school system. “We are deeply sorry for the pain that this has caused so many employees and the harm to this district,” Board President Karla Silvestre said.

The Board has emphasized that with the appointment of Dr. Felder to the position of interim superintendent, they will continue to work towards improving openness and rebuilding credibility with staff, students and families in MCPS. 

Dr. Felder began her career in education in MCPS and worked in the system for 22 years before working in Prince George’s County Public Schools as the executive director in the Office of the Deputy Superintendent for Teaching and Learning in 2014 and later working as the chief academic officer for Metro Nashville Public Schools in Tennessee in 2016. In 2019, she became the superintendent of Orange County Public Schools in North Carolina and left this position in early August.

“I met the new superintendent yesterday and I had the chance to hear her introduce herself to other high school principals. I was happy to hear about her focus on teaching and learning and on making sure our support structures coming from higher up in MCPS are aligned with our schools,” Ms. Deeny said. 

The teachers union has been saying for years that we need better transparency from the Board of Education.

— Ms. Fliakas

However, controversy has also arisen from the interim superintendent because of past financial actions. According to the Washington Post, Dr. Felder was investigated for allegedly receiving undisclosed consulting fees and not properly reporting money received. However, at a press conference held by the Board, it was discussed that board members were aware of the audits findings while appointing Dr. Felder.

At the press conference held at the Board meeting, Dr. Felder discussed wanting to help “heal our system and refocus” during her time as interim superintendent.

“Over the next five months, again, focus on teaching and learning. Focus on ensuring we have strong teachers and strong principals. We already have strong teachers and strong principles but we need more. And so we have to ensure that we are able to attract staff but we also have to be able to support them in order to retain them,” Dr. Felder said. 

She also discussed that she would help the board find a new superintendent during her time serving MCPS.

“It is important to ensure a smooth transition for the permanent superintendent. That is incredibly important,” Dr. Felder said.

RM staff have expressed their hopes for the rest of the school year and improvements MCPS can make in the future. 

“[I am] very hopeful that the new superintendent will help to bring more unity into the school system and restore some of the trust that has been lost within the last several years, especially the last several months. [I’m] really hoping that MCCA and the Board of Education can begin working together to have a more collaborative relationship where there is a foundation of trust and transparency,” Ms. Fliakas said.

If you would like to voice your opinion on an issue you feel is relevant to our community, please do so here. Anyone is able and welcome to submit a Letter to the Editor, regardless of journalistic experience or writing skills. Submissions may be published either online or in a print issue.