Koenig brings love of crosswords to the classroom

Elena Parisi
Every day, Mr. Koenig prints out copies of the New York Times’ daily crossword and hangs them on his classroom door for students to take and complete.

At Richard Montgomery, one teacher stands out not just for his dedication to education but for his captivating passion – crosswords. Jeremy Koenig is an English teacher who has woven the art of crosswords into the fabric of his teaching identity.

Ever since he was a child, Mr. Koenig has been enamored with the world of crosswords. “My dad always did them,” he said. “I would try to help.” He remembers struggling initially and being of little assistance to his father. To improve, he started completing puzzles independently. He remembers starting with the simple Monday New York Times Puzzles. 

By his teenage years, Mr. Koenig had developed a strong passion for the intriguing word puzzles. He recalls practicing against his father and improving rapidly. “It was a classic competition with one’s father, and the son besting the father,” he said.

As an educator, Mr. Koenig brings crosswords to the classroom. When students approach Mr. Koenig’s classroom, they are welcomed at the door by a folder with the crossword of the day.  

Whether students solve them as a class or decipher them independently, the “aha” moments when a student cracks a particularly tricky clue are celebrated with enthusiasm, creating an atmosphere of triumph and encouragement. “I feel like crosswords are a good way to challenge myself and they are fun to do with friends too,” senior Nitya Donthi said.

Beyond the classroom, Mr. Koenig competes in crossword competitions at the international level with the fastest solvers in the world. Not only are his skills put on display, but it has allowed him to meet new people from different backgrounds. “They’re really kind people and I’ve gotten to be friends with many of them,” he said.

For Mr. Koenig, crosswords aren’t just a pastime– they are part of his identity.