Djordjevic lifts Rockets to first state title

Junior Ema Djordjevic prepares to serve against Wootton HS in the county championship game.
Aisosa Ojo-Odiase

The 2023 fall season marked over 400 career kills and over 500 assists for varsity volleyball player junior Ema Djordjevic. Djordjevic has been on Richard Montgomery’s varsity volleyball team since freshman year. This year, she serves as a setter and right side hitter, and co-captain.

Djordjevic has been playing volleyball since she was in elementary school, and she has gained experience and knowledge that many people her age have not acquired yet. “She has so much knowledge about the game that it like passes down to us just by watching her,” freshman outside hitter Saesha Dhote said.

Djordjevic’s experience also makes her an excellent strategist during games. “She’s a smart player,” Head Coach Gretchen Barber-Strunk said. “She knows where to put the ball. She knows how to hit it, what angle she should hit it at [and] what speed she should hit it to get the result that she wants.”

Djordjevic’s skills alone also make her stand out on the court. “She’s able to play from anywhere effectively. So she’s literally like an all around player,” Coach Barber-Strunk said. During games, Djordjevic is a six-rotation player, meaning she is never off of the court, resulting in her consistently bringing stability and skill to games.

In addition, Djordjevic is averaging double-digit kills every game, and it is common for her to win aces when she serves. A kill is when a ball is hit and cannot be returned by the opposite team, and an ace is a serve that cannot be returned by the opposing team. She is also effective at blocking the ball and playing defense. 

She has so much knowledge about the game that it like passes down to us just by watching her.

— Saesha Dhote

This year is Djordjevic’s second year as captain and has continued to remain consistent and reliable to her teammates. “If we’re making mistakes, she gives us feedback about what we need to do better [and] encourages us,” Dhote said. “She’ll always make sure that we’re not getting in our head. And that we’re always like supporting each other even if we’re making mistakes.”

Djordjevic, along with the other three captains, also keeps the team together as friends. For example, talking about things to improve on in a circle. “I would say the [captains] all just like really want us to be as close as possible. So we’re always like sharing stuff about our days and just hanging out,” Dhote said. 

As a captain, Djordjevic also sets an example for younger players to follow. “Ema and the other captains sort of set a precedent that, the girls know, if we’re not going to show up on time then we’re gonna run until everybody’s there,” Coach Barber-Strunk said. Djordjevic also helps her teammates improve through feedback and encouragement. “She’s just been really like welcoming even though I’m a freshman. She’s giving me feedback and I’m like learning from her,” Dhote says.

Djordjevic is extremely dedicated to her sport. She is always wanting to improve her skills and is humble about her accomplishments. She is often immersing herself in the world of volleyball, such as refereeing youth leagues or participating in Olympic developmental events herself.

In the three years that Djordjevic has been playing for RM, she has set multiple records and personal accomplishments. During her freshman year, Djordjevic was the only freshman in all of Montgomery County to be put on the all-county first team. The all-county team is a selection of the best players throughout the county chosen by the coaches. 

Last year, she was also the only sophomore to be on the first team. This year she was voted Montgomery County Player of the Year. “She’s been featured in several local media outlets as like Player of the Week this year.  And I mean, I can definitely say with confidence she has helped us win our division title, regional title and our state title this year,” Coach Barber-Strunk said.

Even with these accomplishments under her belt, Djordjevic does not stop looking for areas to improve in. “She’s always asking, you know, what she could do better and striving to make that happen,” Coach Barber-Strunk said. “She’s always pushing her team to do the best that they can do.”