Students exhibit productivity at the Rockville Library

Isabella Langlee
Sophomore Victoria Zhong works on homework and reviews for upcoming tests in the quiet environment of the Rockville Library.

Crash! Meow! Bang! With the busy lives that students’ families lead, studying at home can be difficult. To escape the chaos, RM students often pay a visit to the Rockville Library in Rockville Town Square. The library offers a quiet environment, serving as an escape from distraction and allowing students to work their way through mounds of homework.

According to Absolutely Studying, studying somewhere different from one’s usual routine is known to increase productivity. “I study at home, but I find it easier to study in the library since the lack of distractions forces me to do my work,” senior Grace Andrianjafitrimo said.

The Rockville Library has two floors, each offering a unique environment. The first floor has small tables near large glass windows, letting the sun in and creating an open airy setting. However, the sounds from the nearby children’s section may distract students from their academics.

The second floor, on the other hand, has private rooms available for reservation online. “I study on the second floor. When the study rooms are available, I will study there,” senior Carlos Martinez said. “There are generally no disruptions. I dislike when people are being disruptive.”

The location of the library is also beneficial for students. It is about a 10 minute walk from the school, which makes it the perfect after school studying location. In addition, it is surrounded by shops and restaurants, making it easy for students to go out and grab a snack at Starbucks or Dawson’s Market if their hard work leaves them famished.

Students can also access books for free at the library. 

“I love picking up a few books to take home,” sophomore Josephine Nguyen said. “My favorite genres are mystery and science fiction, but sometimes I get romance or even something educational.”

Other RM students prefer to obtain their literature from a different source. 

“I usually only buy books because I like to keep them,” Andrianjafitrimo said. “I don’t really check them out, but when I do, I get psychology. I’ve always been fascinated with how the human mind works.”

Harvard Business Review conducted a study on the effects of exposure to the natural environment on productivity and writing. They discovered that “experiencing even small doses of nature at work improved the way employees felt in ways that fueled higher task performance, increased helping, and enhanced creativity.” 

Consequently, students studying at the Rockville Library may consider finding a study spot near a window or perhaps taking a walk around the town square every hour or so in order to promote maximum efficiency.

Many RM students agree that switching up your studying environment and making a trip to the library is worth it. 

“It’s a short walk and even shorter drive. You don’t realize how big of an impact studying somewhere quiet has. I really think it’s worth trying,” Nguyen said.