A bond extending beyond the classroom

Hinsvark and Gandhi have an inspiring friendship
Grace Li
This year, Mr. Hinsvark (left) and Mr. Gandhi (right) gifted each other t-shirts with each others portraits.

In the bustling hallways of Richard Montgomery High School, there exists a unique and heartwarming story of friendship. The story of Christopher Hinsvark and Akshay Gandhi goes beyond the confines of the classroom and the typical friendliness teachers exhibit toward one another. Their friendship not only serves as an example of the impact teachers can have on one another but also reveals the influence their friendship can have on their students. 

Mr. Hinsvark and Mr. Gandhi’s journey began more than a decade ago in 2012, while they were both teachers at Annapolis High School. Mr. Hinsvark had already been teaching social studies for a few years, while Mr. Gandhi was an intern on the way to becoming a chemistry teacher. 

Mr. Hinsvark sponsored several extracurriculars, such as student government and coaching the ice hockey team and Mr. Gandhi wanted to become more involved. Mr. Hinsvark was the perfect mentor. 

“We got to know each other really well through extracurricular activities,” Mr. Hinsvark said. 

I think it’s important that other teachers also get outside of their departments and get to know other teachers around the building, as well as getting to know students that might be outside of the students they teach.

— Mr. Christopher Hinsvark

Their time at Annapolis would eventually come to an end, with both teachers making the move to Montgomery County. Mr. Hinsvark arrived at RM a couple of years before Mr. Gandhi, but their friendship never missed a beat. Mr. Gandhi remembers his good friend swinging by during his interview at RM. “I put in a good word for him, even though there was no need to because he was a stellar educator and he sold himself on his own merits,” Mr. Hinsvark said. 

It was here at Richard Montgomery that their friendship blossomed into something special. 

At RM, the two started a tradition well-known to students. 

“We like to give each other gifts every year. Gifts with our faces on them,” Mr. Gandhi said. It does not take long to spot their faces in each other’s classroom, whether it be on large portraits hanging on the wall or on mugs.

The two have several similarities: both are graduates of the University of Maryland, like to drink Coke and support each other at their extracurriculars. Mr. Gandhi has attended his friend’s ice hockey games since their Annapolis days. 

“He was a big supporter, our number one fan,” Mr. Hinsvark said. 

However, one of the most remarkable details is that they teach on different floors in different departments. 

“I think it’s important that other teachers also get outside of their departments and get to know other teachers around the building, as well as getting to know students that might be outside of the students they teach,” Mr. Hinsvark said.