From Rockets to Brunos: Livia Venditti commits to Brown

Livia Venditti

Junior Livia Vendetti poses for a photo repping her Brown University merchandise.

Shelby Roth

Following an impressive, All-Met distinguished junior season, swimmer Livia Venditti announced her commitment to swim for Brown University. The junior posted her announcement on Instagram on May 3 where it quickly received an outpouring of support from teammates and peers. The support was truly a testament to the impact the varsity swim captain has made during her three years at RM. 

The recruiting process is one that can be very challenging to navigate. In order to succeed it is important for athletes to create a list of schools that meet their personal athletic and academic goals, and that is exactly what Venditti did. 

“I always knew that I wanted to swim in college and at a division one level but it has always been really important for me to prioritize the academic rigor of a university,” Venditti said. “I talked to a variety of institutions but I narrowed a list down based on my priorities and where I could truly see myself both studying and swimming.”

The biggest piece of advice Venditti carried with her through the college search was staying confident in her abilities as a student-athlete. 

“Going through the recruiting process can be intimidating because you’re being evaluated as a swimmer and a student, but it’s important to remember that even being able to swim in college is such an exciting opportunity, regardless of the school you choose,” Venditti said. 

When it came to making the final decision, Venditti knew that Brown was the right choice. Brown competes in the Ivy League conference which prioritizes competing at the highest levels all while maintaining a high expectation for academic excellence. 

“I chose Brown because of its incredible athletics program paired with the flexibility and freedom of the open curriculum. Brown focuses on undergraduate teaching and I really like the accessibility of professors and research institutes,” Venditti said. “I’m excited to have female leadership under the head coach and train with other hard working and academically motivated swimmers.” 

Venditti still has one more season with the Rockets where she will be leading the team from the captain position. Coming off the momentum from winning the regional championships, she hopes to help the girls team place higher at states.

“I’m so excited to be captain and hopefully create a very fun and encouraging atmosphere. I love that everyone on the team strives to be better, whether it’s during races or when it comes to team spirit,” Venditti said.