Antisemitism on the rise

According to the Montgomery County Bias Report, the number of antisemitic incidents in MCPS have risen by 91% in 2022. (Graph by Samantha Wu. Data from Montgomery County Police Dept.)

Anshi Purohit, Social Justice Writer

Over the past two months, there has been a rise in antisemitic acts in MCPS. Two weeks ago, nine incidents were reported following school Superintendent Dr. Monifa McKnight’s community address about stopping a culture of hate. 

Students and educators alike are deeply concerned about the trend in both in the country and county. “I mean, it’s been all over other schools as well, such as Nazi symbols carved into desks, literally government property, and it’s been spread around because I hear the jokes at school,” freshman Taylor Morrison said.

Reports of the incidents came from four schools, from elementary to high schools. Swastikas were found carved into desks at three MCPS schools, including Silver Creek Middle School. In Bethesda, antisemitic graffiti was found in several areas, including on Walt Whitman High School’s signboard. 

“As a Jewish person, it’s just really scary to see the world around me transforming into a place that somehow hates me when even a year ago, I didn’t think antisemitism was that alive,” freshman Gabrielle Orringer said. “You hear that happens in the south when you’re Jewish, and you hear about things that happen in Israel, but you don’t really think that it’s going to happen in Montgomery County, a place that has a very high percentage of people that are Jewish.”

After noticing these issues, some support a form of grassroot-level change. “My opinion on this is that anyone or any group engaging in such activities should think about using that energy for positive gains and influence instead of trying to tear others down,” counselor Paul Craft said. 

Some students admitted that persistent hate speech is hard to combat. 

“It’s been around pretty much since humans created religion,” Morrison said.  “It’s a difficult thing to counteract. So I think just continuously being in the point that we really need to not do this is a very important thing and really setting the standard that it’s not okay.”

However, there are avenues through which the county can prevent additional acts from occurring. Some ways include increasing awareness about the Holocaust and providing additional education about the severity of these issues to MCPS students.

“I think it’d be a really great thing if they could introduce more things about other cultures,” Orringer said. “Education leads to less ignorance.”

Schools across the county have tried many different methods in combating these incidents, some of which are more focused on safety measures.

“The first issue here is that the perpetrators need to be caught or discovered so that they can receive the proper discipline as well as education,” Craft said.  “In many of the cases the hate speech was outside on the school building or property, which means it could easily be anyone, not just MCPS students. At one school, they have opted to close down the school grounds to any visitors who are not checked in at the school through the normal means.”

Students have taken action advocating for change, urging the county to take matters more seriously. 

“The county is supposedly trying to make a presentation that’s required at our schools to be shared during advisory lessons. They’re asking for Jewish Student Union participation but the thing is, they haven’t been getting back to anyone who’s trying to participate,” Morrison said. 

As a response to the graffiti at Whitman HS, students rallied in solidarity on Dec. 22. 

“The diversity in MoCo is one of its biggest pluses, it helps us as parents and staff to raise awesome citizens who do not believe or engage in racist thoughts or activities. There is no place for that in anyone’s life,” Craft said. 

Students seeking support can go to a school club or counseling. “Something that’s really great for young people is to get involved at clubs that represent them because it can feel like you’re alone until you join a club like SAGA or the JSU,” Orringer said. “I also think it’s important that we advocate for ourselves.”

RM counselors are available to talk with students about their feelings pertaining to these events.

“Just like darkness is repelled by even a small bit of light, negative things like racism are turned back by positive and uplifting acts and words. The root issue is hate, and that is countered by love,” Craft said.  “So, for students who are impacted, I just show them I care by listening and if need be, advocating for them.”