RM seniors commit to their futures

Many seniors have plans to attend university following their high school graduation.

Graphic by Selena Li

Michaela Boeder, Senior Features Writer

Many RM seniors are starting this year off by making strides towards their future. Seniors are committing to colleges including Syracuse, Boston College, Cornell, the University of Pennsylvania and more. As graduation looms closer, acceptance letters are being emailed and commitments are being made. 

Senior Rachel Wang is planning to attend the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business. She plans to seek a finance major. 

“My family was waiting outside my door for my reaction. It was a wholesome moment,” Wang said when recounting the initial moments after receiving her acceptance letter. “I was ecstatic. I felt overwhelmed at the beginning, but just out of happiness.” 

The programs offered at the university were crucial to Wang’s decision to apply. “I was eager to pursue research in their strong business programs and to explore concepts such as social impacts and implications that finance could potentially drive on in the professional workforce. I thought that I could make a lot out of [these programs].”  

Alongside the academic environment, the physical landscape of a school is a  factor for other students, too. 

“I considered the environment I was going to be in. I did not want an urban campus, I [instead] wanted something that felt more secluded,” senior Akmal Rupasingha said. 

Rupasingha will be attending Cornell University and is majoring in computer science. Cornell is ranked nineteenth in computer science in North America according to EduRank. “I chose computer science because I am not the most artistic person, but I felt I could express creativity through code,” Rupasingha said.

For senior and chemistry major Glennis Sanchez, the community engagement and preservation efforts of Sewanee, the University of the South, factored into her commitment. “They have a lot of classes about farming and producing food. They also worked with the community to get food for their lunches, so ninety percent of the vegetables come from farms around their community,” she said. 

Sanchez received a full tuition Posse Scholarship to Sewanee. “I went through the whole Posse system where you do a group interview, do a one-on-one interview, followed by an interview with the administration of the school. Essentially, the school picks you.” Sanchez said. 

For some seniors, acceptance means continuing a legacy. For senior Genevieve Cowl, it means walking the same campus as one of her parents. “My dad went there; he was really happy when I got in,” she said

Cowl is pursuing a forensic science major at Syracuse University after being accepted for early decision. 

For Rupasingha, legacy also was a big part of applying to Cornell, as well as the potential to make a dream a reality. “My sister has previously attended [Cornell], so I spent a lot of time on the Campus back in 2014. Whenever I thought of myself in college, I thought of Cornell,” he said. 

In reflection to their application process, these committed seniors describe a sense of pride and accomplishment of their hard work and time spent on the application process.

“I made it a thing that I wouldn’t submit anything that I knew I could have worked harder on. I started my applications early in July and submitted them three hours before the deadline on Nov. 1, which was probably overkill,” Rupasingha said. 

Similarly, Wang felt relief when she finally submitted her application to the University of Pennsylvania. “It was a sense of self-fulfillment. I felt that I did put my best foot forward, especially since I had been working on the application process for so long,” she said. 

For the juniors who will undergo the process next year, Sanchez has some words of wisdom to share. “Don’t undermine yourself. [A lot of students] don’t apply because they think they won’t get in, but the more you undermine yourself, the more opportunities you miss,” she said.

According to Rupasingha, deciding where you want to apply is about creating a list tailored to your personal interests and desires. ”Consider your personal preferences when formulating your list. Do not listen to what everyone else says. Instead, apply to schools that you think you will be happy at because that is the most important thing. It is not about the rank of the school,” he said. 

Although applying to colleges is often seen as a daunting task, Wang offered her perspective that highlights the introspective value of the application process itself. “I think it’s a very reflective process in which you can look back and summarize everything you’ve done as you prepare to embark on the next chapter of your life,” she said.

Sanchez has advice for seniors waiting to hear back from colleges. “Whatever happens happens. If you want to go to college you are going to go. If you do not plan to go to college, look for something where you are learning, because the moment you stop learning is the moment you stop progressing,” she said.