Recycled treasures at local thrift shops

Students enjoy thrifting at local shops such as Goodwill or Uptown Cheapskate.

Graphic by Christiana Vucea

Elli Jacobs, Senior Features Writer

Local thrift shops offer significant discounts on clothing and other everyday items, donate proceeds to worthwhile charities and rescue countless items from landfills.

Starting in 2017, Goodwill has earned a third of all thrift-store industry revenues in the United States, generating $5.9 billion in sales in over 3,000 country-wide locations. Additionally, 87 percent of thrift customers stated that they aimed to redirect the entirety of their purchases to resale items. 

While we may once have viewed the typical thrift-store customer as someone on a tight budget, recent studies have shown that the socio-economic demographics have been changing. People of different economic levels are buying second-hand furniture, clothing and electronics. 

Thrifting has become a hobby for some and an important errand for others. While a majority of high-income individuals do not shop at thrift stores, with one wash, an article of clothing can become a brand new item for anyone.

As thrifting is becoming increasingly popular, many items are quickly leaving the shelves. To low-income families, this poses a risk towards their needs to have these clothes. 

Seeking valuable antique clothing has been a favorite pursuit of Gen Z and Millennial consumers. An extremely valuable jacket can be hidden in the dozens of other clothes filling the racks. 

“That jacket [I got] was originally $700 and I got it for $70. It just seems utterly smart,” art teacher Mr. Mike McDermott said. 

Second-hand retail stores can sell an average $15 shirt for as little as $1. But, it can be important to be mindful when purchasing more intimate pieces of clothing such as undergarments. 

“It is a safe experience, as long as people use common sense. Make sure to clean things before usage and have some boundaries,” senior Emma Hagan said. 

Goodwill and other thrift stores alike hold community events and offer numerous jobs to citizens in need. As a non-profit, Goodwill works towards bettering the lives of the lower-class. 

Thrifting is also a great way for many to splurge on different items while ensuring that a budget is  maintained. 

There is also a mystery element when thrifting because one never knows what hidden gems they might come across.

RM staff and students fill with excitement with hope of finding a rare object.

“You’ll never know what you might find,” junior Rin Zhang said. 

It has also become popular to thrift cars as well. 

Used cars can help manage an individual’s budget while also providing a safe way of transportation.

“I will never drive a car that’s more than 10,000 bucks because I can get a serviceable vehicle that will get me from A to B, carrying building supplies,” Mr. McDermott said. 

Second-hand furniture can also be extremely valuable and durable. 

Restore, located in Rockville, is known for their wide selection of furniture. New beds, chairs and tools come in every day from donations. This thrift store is an excellent way for citizens to refurbish their homes at low prices. They also provide sales, lowering the prices even more. 

Thrift stores provide a full wardrobe of fashionably unique items and simultaneously help the environment. 

By purchasing clothes and other items that were previously owned, the need for manufacturing more things is reduced. Creating one garment can use an inordinate amount of water and energy. 

Additionally, consumers can also purchase many used objects at once and send them to families and organizations who need them in other countries. 

Profit accumulated from some thrift stores is also donated to charities such as the Purple Heart Salvation Army.