Rockets develop holiday wishlists

Madeline Springer, Features Writer

‘Twas a few weeks before Christmas and stockings were hung, trees were decorated, but students’ wish lists had not yet been finalized. As children, we asked for dolls and cars, or maybe even a video game if we had been extra good that year. As high schoolers, a lot has changed. 

While the Christmas magic faded once the truth about Santa was revealed, the Christmas spirit is still captured in moments of nostalgia and family. “All I want for Christmas is love from my cousin, Peter,” junior Ryan Kaplan said. “He was born on Christmas when I was a kid and he was the best present ever, but we’ve been fighting recently.”

As students get older, it is common for gifts to become more practical rather than purely fun. “My parents usually get me things I need rather than things I want,” junior Jackson Hartle said. “I’ve gotten clothes, books, you know… but this year I’m hoping for hockey gear.”

As kids, many students wrote beautiful letters addressed to Candy Cane Lane, the North Pole. But as high schoolers, students can be more transparent with their parents about what they most want and need. “I usually get whatever I want for Christmas as long as it’s reasonable,” sophomore Anvika Deva said. “Last year I got really nice socks and a blanket. This year I want shelves for my bedroom because all my stuff is inside my cabinets.”

Even as times change, some things stay the same such as the tradition of making a wishlist full of items you know you will not get. “I want Sony headphones, converse and a cat. But, there’s no way my parents would let me have a cat,” Voritskul said. “It would take a miracle.”

Another important aspect of the holiday season is reminiscing about Christmas. “When I was a kid, I used to get Rainbow Loom and a lot of Legos,” Deva said. “I still love Legos.”

Although getting presents can bring great joy, one of the most valuable parts of the holiday season is spending quality time with family for many. “I think Christmas may be even more important now,” junior Liana Voritskul said. “I spent so much time with my family as a kid, but now I spend a lot less so Christmas helps to keep me in touch with my values.”

Junior Grace Andrianjafitrimo has a Christmas wish. “All that’s on my wishlist is perfect grades, happiness and being able to understand and succeed in physics,” she said. “I’m not getting any of it.”