Sophomores skate on solstice

SGA

Sophomores Valerie Badger, Jaymar Examen and Chaiwey Chen stand outside the Rockville Town Square Outdoor Ice Skating Rink on Wednesday, Dec. 21 for the Solstice Skating fundraiser.

Libby Cooke, News Writer

The sophomore Solstice Skating fundraiser was held on Wednesday, Dec. 21 in Rockville Town Center at the outdoor ice skating rink. All grades were welcome to attend, and the funds went to the sophomore class. Admission was 11 dollars, while rental skates were five dollars. The fundraiser was held after school from 3-5 pm.

The event was held last year as well, and was considered one of the biggest fundraisers for the class of 2025. The SGA officers wanted this year’s to have similar results. “There was an okay turnout—definitely less than I expected, especially in comparison to last year. I’m pretty sure everyone for the fundraiser was in the sophomore class. Everyone else at the rink was just there for fun I think,” sophomore SGA secretary Maria Yu said. 

The fundraiser was planned by the officers many weeks in advance. “Our treasurer, Shriyans Kalbhor, emailed the manager of the rink and was able to set it up. We specifically made sure to plan it on the Solstice day so that we use an alliteration for the name of the fundraiser! After we got it approved by our sponsor and the school administration, I asked someone from our graphics team to create a post to advertise,” Yu said. 

Some of the students who attended the fundraiser thought the event had improved. “It was really fun. I thought it was better than last year. It wasn’t too crowded either, which was different from when they did it last year,” sophomore Valerie Badger said.

The sophomore SGA hopes to continue this fundraiser in future school years. “Attendance was not as high, [but] it ran a lot more smoothly this time around,” Yu said.