MCPS approves pilot courses for next school year

Graphics by Christiana Vucea

Examples of the new pilot courses include Greenhouse/Horticulture, Hispanic or Latino/e American (HOLA) Studies and Science of Sports and Recreational Activities (SSRA).

Cindy Jin, News Writer

In November of 2022, several middle and high school pilot courses were approved as active elective course options in MCPS for the 2023-24 school year. These approved courses consist of high school and middle school electives. The Office of Curriculum and Instructional Programs recommended the approval and implementation of eight new non-core middle and high school classes, two of which are still continuing the pilot process. 

In a memorandum issued by the Office of the Superintendent of Schools, the approved courses included Positive Psychology, Introduction to Social Justice (Leadership, Equity, Inclusion and Social Justice (LENS) Seminar) and Asian/Pacific Islander/Desi/American Studies (APIDA). These classes will be available countywide in all high schools. 

Restricted courses for high schools with specialized programs included Shakespeare, Race and Gender at Northwood High School, Principles of Agricultural Science—Natural Resources and Ecology (NRE) at Sherwood and Northwood, Environmental Justice at Walt Whitman High School and Analysis of Equity/Identity in STEM (formerly titled Race, Gender and STEM) at Montgomery Blair. 

I think it’s an opportunity for schools to tailor their courses to their students’ interests, and to allow students to explore their passions.

— Rachel Wei

The procedure of proposing new courses for MCPS starts with gaining authorization from the Board of Education for the pilot process first. After completing a pilot/trial process, proposed courses are recommended by The Office of Curriculum and Instructional Program for approval from the board as active or restricted courses. An active course is an elective or class that is available to all students countywide, meanwhile a restricted course denotes that it’s only available for students in special programs. Finally, following two rounds of submission to the board, a proposed course can finally become official.

“Allowing schools to propose pilot courses is a good thing because it allows students to learn more about less taught subjects in school, and learn about things that could interest them more than the already existing classes,” freshman Alessandro Lisa said.

There were also courses still being approved for the pilot process that were proposed by RM. For example, Hispanic or Latino/e American (HOLA) Studies was proposed by RM and three other high schools: Northwood, Watkins Mill and Montgomery Blair. The course will focus on exploring historical and contemporary reasons that have influenced Hispanic/Latinos/es/x culture in the U.S., as well as labeling terms and the diverse cultures within the Hispanic/Latino/e American community.

“[HOLA would] be a good course to implement into our school, and it’s something that would help spread awareness on how the U.S. has impacted minorities. I hope it becomes available for everyone, as I’d definitely look into it,” freshman Rachel Wei said.

Similarly to many other students in MCPS, Wei has positive sentiments about allowing schools to have the freedom to introduce course ideas to the Board of Education. “I think it’s an opportunity for schools to tailor their courses to their students’ interests, and to allow students to explore their passions,” Wei said.