Board of Education swears in MCEA-endorsed members

Hannah Lee

The MCEA’s Apple Ballot consists of a list of political candidates recommended by educators.

Katherine Sundstrom, News Writer

Two new and two returning members of the Montgomery County Board of Education were sworn in and took their positions with immediate effect on Thursday, Dec. 1. The re-elected members are Brenda Wolff (District 5) and Karla Silvestre (At-Large), and the newly-elected members are Grace Rivera-Oven (District 1) and Julie Yang (District 3), both of whom were endorsed by the Montgomery County Education Association (MCEA).

The MCEA is the teachers’ union of MCPS that is composed of more than 14,000 teachers, counselors, specialists and other employees. According to MCPS, the Board of Education is the “leadership and oversight” for MCPS that makes decisions regarding all aspects of schools, directing and operating the school systems.

Rivera-Oven won about 59 percent of the vote in District 1 and Yang won about 65 percent in District 3 on Nov. 8. Rivera-Oven is a community activist and MCPS alumni who has resided in Montgomery County for many years. Her “track record working for good governance and improving quality of life of communities of color” earned her an endorsement from the MCEA as a connector of families with resources.

“I think teachers do not get the respect,” Rivera-Oven said in an interview with the Bethesda Beat. “To me, a teacher is as important as a doctor because they have an impact on the future of this country. They are literally molding the foundation of who we’re going to be. So with that, we need to pay them well. We need to treat them well.”                   

Yang is a former data analyst and college and career counselor for MCPS, as well as a former classroom teacher for seven years. Due to her experience as a guidance counselor and subsequent understanding of students, schools, and teachers, the MCEA endorsed her as a pro-teacher candidate.

“Teachers have long voiced their desire to be respected as true partners in our education system,” Yang said in an article by the Patch. “We need to foster a culture of openness. We should involve our staff members in the conversation early in the decision-making process, allow channels for suggestions, questions, and feedback to be addressed at all levels and in a timely fashion.”

According to RM students, MCPS needs to fix its treatment of its staff and educators, who are an integral part of the community.

“Teachers in MCPS generally talk about it more how they like it more than other districts,” junior Zameel Mohammed said. “But they need to be paid more and they need more resources since it varies from school to school.”

Students also expect new changes under the new Board of Education with the MCEA endorsements, and hope teachers will receive better treatment across MCPS.

“I think teachers should have some type as far as like grading so that they can get our grades in. And importantly, for [MCPS] to just prioritize their mental health as well would be good,” junior Delanie Graham said.