Kanye West’s antisemitic behavior stirs up controversy

Kanye+Wests+antisemitic+remarks+sparked+outrage+among+the+Jewish+community+and+its+allies.+Wests+behavior+resulted+in+the+loss+of+his+partnerships+with+companies+like+Adidas%2C+Gap%2C+and+Peloton.+

Kanye West’s antisemitic remarks sparked outrage among the Jewish community and its allies. West’s behavior resulted in the loss of his partnerships with companies like Adidas, Gap, and Peloton.

Niya Bansal, Social Justice Writer

Rapper Kanye West has been known for making controversial statements in recent years. Over the past few months, West has been making hostile statements targeted at Jewish people. These antisemitic comments have gone viral, leading to certain consequences. 

Antisemitism describes racially discriminatory actions and statements targeted towards the Jewish community. An audit by the Anti-Defamation League, an anti-hate organization, found that in 2021 there were a total of 2,717 antisemitic incidents across the US. This is the highest number of incidents recorded since 1979, when the ADL began tracking antisemitic incidents. 

West first made headlines when he tweeted:  “I’m a bit sleepy tonight but when I wake up I’m going death con 3 On JEWISH PEOPLE The funny thing is I actually can’t be Anti Semitic because black people are actually Jew also. You guys have toyed with me and tried to black ball anyone whoever opposes your agenda.” This tweet was later taken down and West was banned by Twitter. 

“Death con 3” is presumably a reference to the military strategy, defcon 3. This military tactic is used when there is a foreign threat that needs to be addressed immediately. 

“If ideas like this are allowed to be amplified, then it could very well be that some things start at a small idea and then they grow. History shows us that absolutely horrible things happen when that occurs,” social studies teacher Noah Grosfeld-Katz said.

Although West’s comments have not inflicted physical harm thus far, they have made an emotional impact on the Jewish community. In light of West’s comments, people have hung banners reading, “Kanye was right” and other antisemitic statements on bridges and highways. There has also been a surge in threats to synagogues. 

“[West] saying these things publicly has made antisemitism more mainstream, more visible in society,” senior Jason Altneu said. 

Some people may view these comments by West as further supporting antisemitism, whereas others may view it as West attempting to fight for those in his community.

One justification some have used for Kanye West’s controversial comments has been the fact that he has been medically diagnosed with bipolar disorder. “I do understand that he is bipolar. And yes, I understand that he may say some things he doesn’t mean, however, there is no justification for this kind of a comment,” sophomore Heather Feurstein said. 

In response to his comments, Instagram and Twitter temporarily banned West from their platforms.

Similar to these social media platforms, many feel that there needs to be more control and regulation on harmful speech. “I do acknowledge, and support the right to free speech, but hate speech is not protected, and there needs to be a way to determine if something is hate speech before it gets published,” senior Jason Altneu said.

Additionally, many other companies, such as Adidas, Gap, and Peloton, have begun to cut ties with West. Adidas, for example, has decided to continue selling West’s shoe line. However, they will no longer be branding the line with his name. This means that West will lose some of the publicity and revenue he previously gained from having ties with large companies. 

Many RM students and staff are Jewish and/or allies to the Jewish community. Therefore, it is necessary that there are conversations on the antisemitic comments made by Kanye West. “I like to think this is a place where people can share opinions, but also students need to either educate themselves or get educated about why those comments and stereotypes are harmful and untrue,” Mr. Grosfeld-Katz said.

Wests comments have shed light on the greater issue of antisemitism. “We must act against this, condemn anti semitism wherever it appears, no matter who says it. We cannot excuse someone for spewing such hatred because they are famous,” Jason Altneu said.