MCPS introduces new rules for all high school sporting events

RMs+Roy+Lester+turf+stadium+sits+nicely+besides+the+school+building+.+

Claire Yu

RM’s Roy Lester turf stadium sits nicely besides the school building .

The Tide Staff

A fight at a football game catalyzed new countywide regulations for all high school athletic events. During a Board of Education meeting on Sept. 21, superintendent Dr. Monifa McKnight announced a new policy, extending to all MCPS schools, that is more restrictive than past regulations. 

The brawl that occurred between Gaithersburg and Northwest High School students and coaches during the varsity football game on Sept.16 resulted in five people being charged with assault and two people injured.

Why are there new rules for sports games?

The new tiered guidelines signal a shift in scrutiny over security at sports games, as these are the first significant guidelines since the revised COVID-19 rules. The primary fight occurred on the actual field, while another one occurred in the parking lot where police say a knife was found. 

Four juveniles were charged with assault and a 19-year-old was charged with assault and intoxication. Both teams were suspended and forced to forfeit their next two games. This has left other teams who were scheduled to play either Gaithersburg or Northwest scrambling to find a team to play.

Northwest’s head coach, Travis Hawkins, was accused by Gaithersburg’s athletic director, William Gant, of hitting him in the head and failing to de-escalate the fight on the field. He awaits a preliminary inquiry which is scheduled for Nov. 7, where he will be handed a trial date.

In an interview with WUSA9, Gant said, “I stepped in front to keep him from our player and he [Hawkins] struck me, snapping my head back… In my 25 years of coaching and athletic director, he looked to be escalating the situation.” 

What are the rules for sports games?

Starting Sept. 23, the Tier 1 regulations and rules are in effect at all MCPS high school sports games. The rules impact both what goes on during games and the process of entering the stadium. A major rule change now requires every student to show their student ID or their schedule on Synergy before entering the stadium. MCPS has warned this might increase entry time and all spectators should be ready to wait while student IDs are being verified. 

All spectators are now asked to remain seated throughout the event, putting an end to the popular student section practice of standing on bleachers to cheer. With the new rules, students will not be allowed to congregate in large groups in and around the stadium before, during, and after the game. 

All elementary and middle school-aged students, and high school students from a school not participating in the game, now must be accompanied by an adult chaperone through the duration of the event. 

Sidelines are now reserved only for athletes, coaches, Athletic Department staff, officials, and media with appropriate credentials. Tier 1 also prohibits reentry into the game, admission after halftime, and bringing a backpack into the game. Separate entrances and staggered exits will be also used in high-traffic areas to ensure safety before and after games. 

How do the tiers work?

The decision to implement Tier 2 or 3 will be made depending on multiple criteria. This includes the level of anticipated attendance, historic rivalries, a history of incidents between teams, facility layout, and incidents in the community. 

Tier 2 limits the spectators to only students of the home school and family members of the players. Scheduling adjustments may also be made, which could include Thursday afternoon and/or Saturday morning games. Further spectator limitations may be implemented to help with event management. 

In cases where Tier 3 actions need to be taken, concessions may be closed, and attendance will be restricted. Only families of participants would be allowed to attend, and in extreme circumstances, no spectators may be allowed. 

How does this affect RM?

The RM administration sent out an email on Sept. 22 detailing the new policy and how it will be implemented at the school’s athletic events. Currently, all of RM’s home and away competitions are categorized as Tier 1 events. If there were to be a change, the school or the individual coach would communicate to the students. 

In an email sent out to families, the administration said, “We appreciate everyone’s support, understanding, and flexibility with these changes. MCPS and Richard Montgomery want the best for your student-athletes. Their safety and that of the coaches and fans are our first priority… We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming games as you cheer on the Rockets.” 

RM was originally scheduled to play Northwest on Sept. 23. Due to Northwest’s suspension, RM along with BCC, who was scheduled to play Gaithersburg, will receive a forfeit victory. In place of these games, RM’s JV football team faced B-CC’s JV team on Sept. 23 at B-CC High School.

How do RM students feel about the new policy?

Many RM students doubt the efficacy and fairness of the policy. “I feel like [the] administration is just saying this but they’re not actually going to check everyone’s identification that walks into the game,” sophomore Danielle Conklin said. 

Some feel that the rules are unfair to schools that were not involved in the fight. Senior Anthony Le said, “It’s kinda too extreme that like, one action affected all the schools.” 

Students believe that these rules will affect school spirit and will discourage people from coming to games. “I think the rules are more likely to discourage me,” junior Hayden Heitzman said. “Obviously I didn’t go to them much before but I think I’m less likely to now.”