Senior Reflection: Athira Nair

Athira Nair, Opinions Editor

It feels like a blur, looking back on my years at RM with only two days left. Honestly, at the beginning I was so confident I would make it through with no dings or scratches. But then, senior year bogged me down and I was a little unsure if I would be able to get through four more months of school. Yet, just as quickly as it started, it ended. Now I’m here with less than a week left walking through the halls of RM as I try to savor every moment and commit it to memory. 

High school was a long, winding road. I went from not knowing if I would even have friends when I came to the school to saying hellos to everyone I saw in the halls to waving goodbye and getting signatures in my yearbook from the whole senior class. To commemorate some of the memories I made and treasure, I decided to start vlogging small aspects of my life. Not exactly 10-minute long videos that would be posted on YouTube but personal stories of moments I share with friends, family, at school. Looking back and rewatching those videos brought me a newfound sense of happiness and nostalgia, appreciating what I have. 

I’d love to say that I wouldn’t change a thing, but the truth of the matter is that if I could do it all again I would change a lot. And that’s only because I learned a lot, both about myself and how to navigate life in general. Some classes that I should’ve taken (econ would’ve helped in the long run), events I could’ve attended (maybe going to hoco sophomore year would’ve been fun), and clubs I wanted to join (I’ll always be a theater kid at heart I guess). It is certainly a live-and- learn experience, one that I will carry with me to college. 

Moving on and finally graduating feels like a fever dream, and I don’t think it will ever not until I’m on that graduation stage seeing the school for one last time. I’m going to miss a lot. Walking through Main Street with its vaulted ceilings and skylight, sitting in a cozy corner of the school for lunch, laughing and talking with classmates before the bell rings, staying for hours after school to work on layout. I hope to have all this and more in my future. 

But for now, I’ll say goodbye. ‘Til next time, Rockets.