Column: Rocket Advice

Max Belyantsev, Opinions Writer

High school can be daunting for many of us, so I’d like to share my 15 top tips and tricks that will help you thrive at RM!

1. Don’t forget about open lunch! A lot of students simply forget that we as RM students have a unique opportunity to leave campus during lunch to get great food from nearby restaurants and local businesses in the Rockville area. However, if you’re busy…
  2. Use RM’s longer lunch period to your advantage! RM has a 50-minute lunch to account for the wonderful privilege of open lunch. That being said, if you have work to catch up on, go to the library for a quiet place to get it done. Also remember, during lunch, you can always…
  3. See your teachers if you have questions! Never feel discouraged from asking any content-related questions in harder classes. Teachers are more willing to answer questions than you think!
  4. Stay in control! As cliché as it sounds, your grades are YOUR responsibility. Whether you are looking to improve your grades or keep them going strong, you need to make sure that you keep in touch with your teachers, check your grades regularly, and stay on top of your assignments. 
  5. Start studying for your exams at least one month in advance! Whether you are taking one exam or several, you should know that nobody has “more than enough” time to study for their APs. During exam season, school assignments can make studying difficult for a lot of students, especially if you are trying to cram the week before. Though you have been basically studying for your AP simply by attending the class, continue building up your knowledge and end the year with 5s on all your exams. Oh yeah, don’t forget about practice tests!
  6. Participate in clubs! RM is proud of its vibrant and diverse student body, and our clubs are no different. There is basically a club for everyone and everything! Some popular examples include The Tide, Black Maskers, DECA, as well as many RM varsity and JV sports teams. These opportunities are a great way to get to know your peers and make new friends! 
  7. Attend school dances, sports games and other events! Your time at RM will go by fast; make the most of your high school experience by going to a football game with your friends, wearing your best outfit to Homecoming, and much more! You have got a short while before you go off to college or into the workforce, now’s the chance to try new things!
  8. Know where to go! When you’ve got an extra minute or two, try exploring new paths to different classes to get a better idea of the school building. Check out the less-crowded stairwells near either end of the school, these can be really helpful when you are running late and the halls are packed with peers.
  9. Ask for an extension, not forgiveness. Your teachers understand that high school is not a walk in the park. They all went through experiences and challenges similar to what you are facing now. Being upfront about running behind on an assignment promotes transparency, honesty and fairness. By being proactive, you show that you are responsible and care about the class. Talk with your teacher, preferably at least 24 hours in advance, and try to agree on a solution that works for both of you.
  10. If you have a dream, make it a reality! Whether you want to start a new club, a student organization or any other project, RM is the place to do it. Our supportive student base and helpful teachers and admins, combined with your willpower and efforts to push forward, will help launch your project to unprecedented heights. You got this!
  11. Try to make others’ lives a little easier or a little better. Give a compliment to a friend. Hype them up before a big test. If someone missed a day of school, offer them class notes they might have missed or help with their work. Even if they kindly decline, showing that you care goes a long way!
  12. Don’t put off learning to drive! Learning to drive is one of the rites of passage as you get older. It can mean, with enough practice, driving yourself to and from school to avoid long bus rides, staying after school with friends knowing you have a ride and an unparalleled feeling of independence! Study up and take your learner’s permit test as soon as you turn the minimum age of 15 years and nine months. Spoiler alert, the permit test is rather easy, but you should still study so you know what to expect on the road. Nine months of practice later, you can take your provisional test, and once you pass, you have newfound independence! 
  13. Talk to upper-level students! The RM community is truly one of the most cohesive and friendly ones in the county. Juniors and seniors are more than happy to answer questions you might have. A great way to meet some is to attend different clubs, chances are, a junior or senior is running it!
  14. Participate in Spirit Week! While it may not seem interesting to some, participating in Spirit Week creates a fun environment in your classes and a sense of community for everyone! Do not miss the chance to show off a sharp suit, tye-dye shirt or other themed clothing!
  15. Visit your counselors! Your counselors are fantastic people who are here to help you. Drop by your counselor’s office just to say “Hi” every once in a while! Of course, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to set an appointment with them and talk about anything from school-related matters to personal problems to questions about college!