Winter track makes it comeback

Photo courtesy Milesplit

Senior Nolan Brenowitz (left) passes off the baton to Junior William Julka (right) during an indoor relay race.

Amanda Gershoni, Sports Writer

After an interesting 2020 season, the Richard Montgomery winter track team returned this school year motivated to get back out on the track. With a few setbacks to the schedule, their regular season was delayed and began on November 18. After the season began, Montgomery County alerted the members of the team, stating that all their meets were going to be canceled due to Covid-19. However, after weeks of deliberation, the county retracted their statement, and came out with the decision to hold all winter meets outdoors instead of having the traditional indoor races.

Sophomore Zaki Ahmad is entering his second season as a runner and feels motivated to get moving again with his teammates, despite the fact they will be running outside for the first time. “The best part of running indoor track is the people on the team. RM track and field is truly a family where you always feel supported as you work towards personal records and personal growth,” Ahmad said. He feels his teammates make the harsh weather conditions worth it.

Freshman Eliza Nadler chose to participate in the winter sport because she too is drawn to being a part of a close team. She is also using indoor track to keep her in shape for the upcoming soccer season next fall. “I signed up for track to keep my endurance,”  Nadler said. “I also just like to workout with people.”

RM was able to participate in two meets this year, and found success across the board. The team finished first in the women’s 500 meter dash and the men’s 3200 meter dash. Both the girls and boys won their 4×400 races, with the girls making a huge comeback, and the boys holding their place in the lead throughout the entire race. In overall standings, the girls placed second in the first meet, and the boys placed third. A couple weeks later, in the second meet of the season, the  girls placed second overall and the boys took home the first place trophy. 

This year’s successful season is not a first for RM.  “RM’s successful history in indoor track includes several state titles and a 2020 finish as state runner ups,” said Ahmad. “[We] have retained a lot of strength today, and got a lot of talent that keeps [us] competitive in every event…both in sprinting and distance.”

Though this season flew by, as the team only had the time to participate in two meets, it is not over yet for those who were top ranked placers. The 4A West Regionals will take place on February 11.

“We’re looking forward to strong performances at regionals and states soon after. We’re also going to try to use this season to train as much as possible for outdoor track beginning on March 1st,” Ahmad said.