Everything to know about the student-staff basketball game

Photo by Maddie Franke.

RM student suits up to play basketball on the home court

Talia Kouncar, Sports Writer

The student-staff basketball game is an annual event that has been held by RM for over seven years. It includes a competitive game of basketball where for the one and only time during the year, staff face off against students. It typically runs from second to seventh period, and takes place in the main gym during the half day before Thanksgiving. 

Although the game was set to take place on November 24, that date has since changed due to closure of schools the Wednesday before break. The new date is set for December 17, the date of the winter pep-rally. Games will be played for the first 15 minutes of each pep rally.

“[Students should expect a] heated game between staff and students, awesome music, a roaring crowd, and some tough t-shirts,” event organizer and senior Ayellet Aharonovich said.

Juniors and seniors know what to expect but lowerclassmen who may want to sign up are  unfamiliar. “Expect a fun time- especially freshmen and sophomores who’ve never experienced it before,” Aharonovich said. “It’s a fun RM tradition.”

Past student players are also looking forward to the game after missing it all together last school year. “I’ve really missed the fun environment in the gym and playing against the staff,” senior Andrew Kim said. 

The students aren’t the only ones looking forward to the games. Staff are eager to compete against their students. “I would like to see the tradition of the game continue, and see the staff continue to make three-pointers,” English teacher and girls’ varsity basketball head coach Michael Oakes said. Mr. Oakes is a veteran to the student-staff basketball game, as he has played in it since 2015. 

At this time, all spots to play for the staff or student team have been filled, but those who are unable to be apart of the game directly should be prepared for a competitive, entertaining competition to be watched from the bleachers.