RM girls basketball falls short in rivalry game at Rockville

The Richard Montgomery girls’ basketball team was defeated by the Rockville Rams on Wednesday, by a score of 41-35. Going into the game, they “knew that if we wanted to win the game, we were going to have to play hard and leave it all on the court,” said sophomore Melanie Osborne, who scored a team-high 14 points, “we all thought that we were capable of beating them if we played our hardest.”

After a fast-paced first quarter, Richard Montgomery started off strong with a convincing lead of 11-6. After a fairly easy first quarter, the Rockets were taken by surprise when Rockville came out ready to play.

The Rams held their opponents to just two points in the second quarter, and went into the half with a lead of 17-13. Coming out of the half, both teams were engaged in a heated and fairly evenly matched contest. The Rockets mounted a small comeback, cutting the Rockville lead to just three points, and trailed 27-30.

In the final eight minutes, despite the outstanding efforts from Richard Montgomery, Rockville was able to hold the lead throughout the fourth quarter. In the end, the Rams prevailed, and took the win in the rivalry game.

The Rockets record falls to 7-8 on the season, they play at Wootton High School on Friday.