Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month with food

To+celebrate+Hispanic+Heritage+Month%2C+the+media+center+put+several+appropriate+books+on+display+for+students+to+read.+RMBC+also+contributed+last+month+by+featuring+teachers+of+Latin+American+origin+on+their+show+and+providing+information+about+influential+figures+as+well.+

To celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, the media center put several appropriate books on display for students to read. RMBC also contributed last month by featuring teachers of Latin American origin on their show and providing information about influential figures as well.

Ellie Noh, Features writer

September 15 to October 15 marks the official celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month in the United States. These days honor and commemorate the achievements, influence and contributions those of Hispanic descent have on American culture. President Lyndon Johnson originally established Hispanic Heritage week in 1968, and President Ronald Reagan expanded the week to a full month in 1988. Read on to discover a few cultural recipes our classmates, teachers and administrators love.

Principal Alicia Deeny enjoys cooking various cultural dishes including roast pork and other traditional Puerto Rican foods, but admits her ultimate specialty is flan, a custard dessert similar to creme brulee, which she prepares with pumpkin every Thanksgiving. She was originally inspired by a Puerto Rican cookbook that has been passed down in her family, but she has refined the recipe over the years. “It can be a bit tricky to caramelize the sugar and transfer it into a double boiler, but it’s definitely worth the effort,” Ms. Deeny said. “I usually make it when it’s cold outside, and it reminds me of the warm weather and my family back in Puerto Rico.” She hopes the young members of her family will learn to make flan so more generations will be able to enjoy the tasty dessert.

Tamales, a classic hand-held dish in Latin American culture, is a unique treat that consists of rice, chicken, potatoes and vegetables wrapped in leaves or corn. Sophomore Katy Mejia, Secretary of the Bilingual Club, eats this savory meal every Christmas with her family. “This dish carries sentimental value with it, and should be considered a meaningful gift. Usually when someone makes it, they make around twenty tamales. The time and dedication reflects the love the creator of the dish has for you,” Mejia said. “I enjoy tamales best when served with coffee.” It is traditional for grandmothers and aunts to teach their families, so they can continue to pass the tradition on. 

Pupusas, the national dish of El Salvador, are thick tortillas stuffed with cheese, mashed beans and pork. Sophomore Marlene Orantes, member of the Spanish Honor Society, looks forward to eating this delicious meal during celebrations. “This dish is significant to me because I have many good times and memories associated with preparing pupusas,” Orantes said. She was taught by her mother to make the dish, who was taught by her grandmother and so on. “It’s important to my family that all of us learn how to make it so we can grow up and pass it on,” Orantes said.

Psychology teacher Mr. Carlos Montalvan enjoys his mother’s breakfast dish “Un Plato Tipico.” This scrumptious breakfast tray is composed of scrambled eggs, crushed tomatoes and onions, fresh homemade tortilla, beans, platanos, crema and queso fresco. “Growing up, my mother would make it on Saturday mornings for my brothers and me. This meal reminds me of being a kid and visiting El Salvador,” Mr. Montalvan said. “Nowadays, my boys and I eat it when we visit my mom. I certainly hope she’ll pass on the recipe so we can continue making it.” He recommends students try this appetizing dish.

These are just a few of the numerous mouth-watering dishes that originated in Latin American culture. To get a taste of Latin American cuisine, you can attempt to make these dishes yourself or dine at local Hispanic restaurants that include El Mariachi, Tomatillo Mexican Grill and La Brasa Latin Cuisine.