Growing research on COVID-19 vaccine and connection to MCPS reopening

December 11, 2020

Graphic courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Extreme surges in U.S coronavirus cases have companies racing to develop a viable vaccine. Pharmaceutical corporation Pfizer and their German partner BioNTech have recently announced a major Covid-19 vaccine breakthrough. After their initial trials, researchers found that the vaccine is over 90 percent effective. Moderna and AstraZeneca are close behind.

Extreme surges in U.S coronavirus cases have companies racing to develop a viable vaccine. More than 13 million people in the U.S. have had confirmed coronavirus infections and more than 250,000 have died from COVID-19. Tens of thousands of new cases are reported daily according to NPR. Pharmaceutical corporation Pfizer and their German partner BioNTech have recently announced a major Covid-19 vaccine breakthrough. After their initial trials, researchers found that the vaccine is over 90 percent effective. Moderna and AstraZeneca are close behind.

However, even with the rise in cases, MCPS is ambitious in its plan to start in-person learning by January 12. Some students disagree with reopening so early and believe it will just result in schools closing shortly after. “The case numbers are really bad right now. The hybrid plan could work potentially but it would take a lot of cooperation on everyone’s part,” freshman Maya Siegal said via text. “Also, there will probably be another huge spike because of Christmas so I don’t think returning in January is a good idea.” 

It is possible that not all schools will reopen in Montgomery County in January. Reopening depends on how many students and their families want to participate in the hybrid model. Upon return, face coverings will be required and there will be daily health symptom questionnaires for staff and students to complete. Personal protective equipment, such as hand sanitizer and disposable masks, will be kept in each classroom and other areas of the school. MCPS officials have mandated masks to be worn in outdoor and indoor public spaces, while indoor gatherings are limited to ten people. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the CDC is working to ensure that cost is not a barrier to getting the vaccine. Another challenge is producing a large enough supply of dry ice for shipping the Pfizer vaccine; vaccines must be kept at freezing temperatures in massive refrigerators. It is still unclear whether the vaccine is limited to preventing symptoms or is capable of stopping transmission from person to person as well. The vaccine will be ready for delivery 24 hours after FDA authorization.

Due to the limited supply, priority groups—health care workers and members of vulnerable populations—will receive vaccines first. Teachers may also be among the first groups of people to receive the vaccine. The average healthy American and student can expect to get the first vaccine dose around April. As of today, MCPS has not announced plans to mandate a COVID-19 vaccination for school.

“We certainly know that the metrics over the last few weeks have not been as positive as we would like for them to have been…but that doesn’t mean that we’re not going to continue to plan and work and move forward with our goal,” Superintendent Jack Smith said according to Bethesda Magazine. “And our hope is that we can begin to bring students back into the physical spaces that we all think of as school.”  

“I am very excited and a bit nervous to go back to school because this is my first year at RM and I’m curious to see more than just Main Street,” sophomore Linnea Dugan said via text. “I think MCPS has a good plan but will everyone cooperate and follow the guidelines?” 

The end decision, whether to continue virtual learning for the school year or attempt a safe return, will face differing opinions. Some MCPS teachers have also shared their desire to return to school and teach their students in person, but the possible consequences of going back are hard to bypass. 

“As a teacher of lab based classes, I believe that students get more out of my class in person through the fun hands-on activities we complete,” science teacher Helen Paolucci said via Zoom. “I think returning to in person learning is possible if all precautions are met, but I am also a little hesitant to return.”

The return to school in a couple of months is still up in the air and is constantly being tweaked to fit the current situation. The vaccine will not end the crisis right away, and the CDC advises to continue wearing masks, practice social distancing, and wash your hands.

The Tide • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in