MCPS addresses teacher diversity

February 26, 2020

MCPS+recently+launched+the+Building+Our+Network+of+Diversity+project%2C+which+is+intended+to+develop+hiring+and+retention+strategies+specifically+for+male+African+American%2C+Asian+and+Hispanic+teachers.++

Graphic by Annabelle Sargent

MCPS recently launched the Building Our Network of Diversity project, which is intended to develop hiring and retention strategies specifically for male African American, Asian and Hispanic teachers.

RM is known to have a diverse student population, encompassing students from various racial and ethnic backgrounds. 

“There are definitely benefits. You can see different perspectives when you have diversity,” junior Brandon Huynh said. 

However this trend is not reflected among the teacher population. Teachers around the nation are still overwhelmingly white. Eight in ten students live in school districts where African American and Hispanic teachers are less than five percent of staff, according to the Washington Post.

Montgomery County Public Schools is attempting to address these concerns. According to district administration, MCPS has launched the Building Our Network of Diversity project, intended to develop hiring and retention strategies specifically for male African American, Asian and Hispanic teachers.  

Although most RM students agree that student diversity is valuable, opinions are mixed on the importance of teacher diversity. “I feel like the only time diversity would actually matter is in a TOK class, because that’s really the only class I have where teachers give their own perspectives and opinions,” senior Isaac Lim said. “In other classes, it’s just knowledge you’re learning.”

Others see teacher diversity as valuable but also not a pressing issue.  “There should be an effort to increase teacher diversity, but as of now there is a good mix,” sophomore Kai Ghebrehiwet said. “I see teacher diversity as a strength since different viewpoints are shared to students.You get closer bonds between students and teachers, creating an engaging and effective learning environment.”

Studies show that classrooms with teachers that match students’ racial backgrounds help boost test scores, attendance and graduation rates, and lower suspension rates, according to the Washington Post. 

As of 2020, there are signs that the current situation could change. According to the MCPS website, of the 903 new teachers hired in 2019, 39 percent were non-white, representing a 12 percent increase from 2015.