Bathroom graffiti prompts response from RM community

February 24, 2020

A keyboard is one of the many items thrown into RM toilets.

Photo courtesy of Robin Wheeler

The graffiti “AidsBaby” has become a common sight on and around the RM campus. In a practice known as ‘tagging,’ vandals mark public areas with a nickname or phrasea practice that has skyrocketed in the past two months. From bathroom stalls and walls to the back of street signs, the graffiti has become ubiquitous. 

Though RM staff and students are currently attempting to find the culprits, the nature of graffiti is such that copycats are often inspired to do the same, making it increasingly difficult to blame this problem on a few individuals.

Still, thanks to efforts from security and building services, there has been a decrease in new graffiti violations. Principal Damon Monteleone explained the process by which the graffiti is being curbed.

“We have security staff that are male and female checking the bathroom for graffiti as soon as the bell rings at the start of class,” Mr. Monteleone said. “They then go back before the class ends and check again to see if there has been any new graffiti. If there is new graffiti, they just go back and check the security cameras to see who’s been in that bathroom. We’ve been able to identify a couple of kids that way. It doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out.”

“I understand how one could think the AidsBaby thing is funny, but I think the people doing it are just blemishing our beautiful school and causing an unnecessary hassle for building services,” junior Edward Sorenson said. 

Besides the grafiti, there has been a general increase in the mistreatment of school property as of recently. In extreme instances, students are urinating on the floor and destroying school property in the bathrooms. The damage has been done almost exclusively in the boys bathrooms. 

The problem goes beyond the bathrooms as well. RM is unique in that students can eat anywhere they want during lunch. This privilege may be threatened as a result of increased amounts of trash being left in the hallways.  

RM has a track record of being a school that is kept in good condition. The recent vandalisms and destruction of property are out of the ordinary and a return to normalcy is expected. 

“People need to realize what a privilege it is to go to school here. We shouldn’t take for granted what we have and abuse it. I think that people should respect their environment, no matter where they are,” Mr. Monteleone said.