Boys soccer suffers defeat from Quince Orchard

The Richard Montgomery boys soccer team fell 3-0 to the Quince Orchard Cougars in a home game this past Thursday. The night began with an ovation for senior players, as the Senior Night celebration kicked off. Escorted by their families and friends, the players walked down the center of the field as claps came from the stands. Coach Edward Zuniga and fans honored the commitment of seniors Richard Prudencio, Hector Ramos, Ashish Patel, Jose Luque, Jean Espinosa, Andre Lakanu, Will Risso, and Cristian Huaman just before the game ensued.

With the start of the game neither team was able to score in the first half, playing quite evenly. Despite this, it was filled with excitement and both teams fought for possession. In the thirty second minute, Quince Orchard appeared to have scored, yet it was soon ruled out after a whistle on a foul. Richard Montgomery’s Carlos Sosa and Andrew Lakanu were critical in leading the offense, keeping the ball in the team’s control. Throughout the duration of the first half, Richard Montgomery maintained their presence on Quince Orchard’s end of the turf, firing over four attempts towards the Quince Orchard goal. However, Quince Orchard also put forth a good offensive front in sending several shots, but were blocked by goalie Richard Prudencio.

Photo by Alex Coster
Photo by Alex Coster

As the second half began, both teams returned to the field with renewed energy. Key players Sosa and Lakanu amped up their attacks, holding the ball for the much of the time. However, Quince Orchard’s Samuel Zuniga was a driving force, forcing several shifts in momentum, stealing the ball away from Richard Montgomery. Despite Richard Montgomery’s efforts, Everest Longa from Quince Orchard scored the first goal of the night ten minutes into the half. The second goal of the night followed just ten minutes later, as Quince Orchard’s Longa brought the score to 2-0.

With the game came was winding down, Richard Montgomery desperately amped up its attacks in an effort to score, substituting in three new players. Santiago Zegarra and Jean Espinosa continued to be crucial in the defensive effort, but were considerably tired from earlier play. Unable to finish, Richard Montgomery gave up the last goal of the game to Quince Orchard’s Eli Homestead, bringing the score to 3-0 with just four minutes remaining in the game.

The ending was bitter loss for the team especially on senior night, but the team looks to preparing for playoffs. Gearing up for their next game, Richard Montgomery has maintained a positive outlook and is eager to succeed.